Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I'm alive and barely sick

To those of you patiently waiting for consistent blogging, I apologize. Internet has not been widely available this first week and when it has there has been 20 people in a line to use it.
There is no way to sum up or express what it is like to move to a country like Moldova when you have never been there. Most of the time it feels like I'm going to puke.
But there are those amazing moments of grace and assurance. I've experienced those a lot in the last few days.
So I walk into the orphanage and meet some of the guys who I will be living and working with over the course of this year and before I know it I am in a gym holding a basketball. I will be playing a full-court basketball game with them and I am shooting to see if I will pick first.
By the grace of God, I hit a few shots and pick my team and we begin running. They are in a constant full-court press and I am in a constant state of dying.

I am not in shape.

This becomes painfully, painfully, obvious. My state of pudge and boots are not suited for their style of play. But luckily I am a giant compared to them and I used to be an athlete. I use my superior buttocks to dominate the low-post and successfully hide the fact that I am so exhausted that I could collapse at any time. I hold my own and score most of my teams points.

Little did I know that during those first four hours there, over two would be spent playing full-court basketball. I played two more games after that first one.

After the physical torture, we break for lunch. I am sick. I've run more between the hours of 10 and 1 this day than I probably have all last year and have only had half of a bottle of water to drink. I can literally see Jesus.

We get back at 4 and break into groups to have a Bible study. Brian, an awesome guy on this trip, tells me to give the lesson and talk about manhood. Talk? I'm just trying to keep down my lunch (whatever it was).
I go to speak and, to my surprise, my normal voice comes out. I don't cough at all and I don't once feel the severe pain I felt before I stood in front of them. God speaks through me. I am blessed. God's grace is glorious, it is powerful and it is beautiful.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim:
Its your Dad. Great to hear from you - sorry about the sickness. I really felt your pain in the basketball game as I experienced that also this summer in Moldova when we played for what seemed like hours. I expect these young guys will force you to get in shape. I am going to try to stop being amazed when God steps in and fixes things. I look forward with great anticipation to how you will influence these young men (and they you) as time goes by. We think of you often and promise to pray always for you. "Godsspeed"

Anonymous said...

Tim,
This is yo Momma. It was good to hear from you; I hope you are feeling better. Don't forget your Advil! And, don't forget you got the superior basketball genes from me-ha!I have no doubt whatsoever that God has hand picked you so that you can be an integral part in changing lives for eternity. You have a vast amount of knowledge to share; you are in the right place. Don't forget there are people all over the world covering you with prayer and love. Rest up, the "games" are just beginning. LOVE YOU, Mom