Monday, January 02, 2006

What am I doing?



I mean that. What am I doing?

In about two days I will be moving to Moldova, a country in Europe, to work with orphans for at least a year. I shall be attempting to document this coming time through this blog. I'll probably ramble about other stuff too.

If you are wondering about the title of this thing, it comes from a passage in Mark 8. A blind man in the process of being healed says that he sees people and they look like trees walking around. That stuck with me for some reason.

Nick Drake talks about being on the top of the tree and feeling the sweet breezes in one of his songs. I love that feeling. It reminds me of being a kid and climbing trees in my backyard and at my grandparents' house. I found a picture I made when I was but a child, simple and pure and 5, of a boy in a tree. Yes, that boy was me and under that tree was the following:

"My farit place is the big tree in my back yard. I clime up it an I play with my friends. And sometimes I just want be alone."

By the way, 'farit' is 5-year-old tim for favorite. It is amazing that I wrote that a little under 20 years ago and it describes me better than I ever could now. I was a pretty wise person when I was a kid, it would be fun to talk to me. I'd probably tell my-grown-self I was fat. Kids do that kind of stuff, they just say what they want. Then I would tell young-me that he spelled favorite wrong because I'm sensitive about my weight. I would also gloat about being able to reach high things and dress myself and whatnot. And then I'd tell him to go play with his friend Andy and I'd eat some cookies to comfort my wounded self.

Well, that is probably enough. I hope this thing gets better.

2 comments:

Laura said...

First of all, you had me laughing out loud about the conversation between the grown-up you and the younger you. Second of all, you have been there a little over a week...that's crazy! Hang in there, trust and enjoy what God is going to do.
And keep writing, it's pretty entertaining stuff so far...

Anonymous said...

Attitude with humor-it works. Life really is funnier than fiction! After all, who could make that stuff up? If you can't laugh at yourself and the weird-o world around you, you might as well be dead.