Thursday, January 12, 2006

brian joins the polar bear club

This morning at 4 o'clock I left the comfort and warmth of my bed and rode with the American team to the airport. I said my goodbyes and watched them wrestle their respective ways through a sea of Moldovan travelers, beyond the security checkpoints and towards home.
It was a strange feeling. A small part of me wanted to go with them. This year will be challenging and will stretch me. But, I am ready for it. Standing back, watching the chaos, I became surprisingly happy. I want to be here.
I came home and slept until 11 but stayed in bed for about thirty minutes after I woke. I've forgotten how comforting it is to be completely warm when all around you is cold. After a long hot shower, I sat for a little and was just quiet. I haven't' had time to do that here.
I've always needed that time to sit and let God comfort me. Today will be a quiet day and I am grateful to have it.
Before I forget, I saw one of the stupidest and coolest things I have ever seen in my life yesterday. This guy Brian, one of the people who went home today, received Christ this week (we actually had two Americans do that this week). Well, Brian decided he wanted to be baptized. So we found a lake, broke the ice and he was baptized in the freezing cold middle of nowhere. It was amazing.
It was also hilarious. Tripp Sullivan baptized him and had a little problem getting Brian totally covered. When Brian went back, his head was propped on some ice and wouldn't go down. So Tripp, Benny Hinn style, basically hits him in the face until he is covered. There is video of it somewhere and it is one of the funniest things, and holiest things, I think I have ever seen. It was a blessing.

No comments: