Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Horray for Churros!

today, unlike most days, i felt the strong desire for a spanish treat. it did take me off guard, believe you me. but when such a craving calls, you must answer. and answer i did.

i prepared the churros with a love and tenderness that only a mother could appreciate. careful that each churro was made to the exact specifications that the government of spain mandates, i ushered every bit of uncooked churro-dough into an already warmed pan of vegetable oil as i made sure to minimize the splash. magic abounded as they reached the crunchy, golden-brown consistency i desired and they deserved. my attention was never divided until they were placed, in neat rows, onto a tray so that the excess oil could drain.

as the oil continued to drip from these pastries, i began to scientifically mix unequal parts of cinnamon and sugar. ideally they would be dipped into a thick and melted chocolate, but i do not find myself ready for such a culinary challenge at this point of my life. staying within my own limits, i bravely began to sprinkle the scientific creation onto the still-warm churros.



looking at them i knew i had done something special. before me was a set of glorious churros ready to be enjoyed. each delicious fried-dough cinnamon and sugar covered pastry snack was treated with the utmost care as i, taking sensible bites, placed them into my mouth. i think it safe to say that i tasted beauty this day, a beauty that can only be understood by those who have also tasted the goodness of a warm churro, crafted with love.

it was not until later i realized that the preparation to the dazzling of the taste buds had left the kitchen with the strong, lingering smell of vegetable oil. it was, nay, is quite potent. but i feel, as i hope most of you reading this now would, that the delightful taste of this spanish treat was worth any olfactory discomfort. and that, good people, you can take to the bank!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Um...hello, yummy! I didn't know you were a cook, Tim.

Anonymous said...

I must confess, coming home from a long day's work saving lives, I was overwhelmed seeing a nice, sweet treat that I,myself, did not have to concoct. That made them even tastier, but the smell was rather potent, and the front door was hanging wide open in an effort to neutralize the malodor. Fortunately, no stray or wild animals wandered into our abode. So all's well that ends well. You can make churros anytime, except clean up the mess!