Tuesday, September 19, 2006

watching dogs

insert obligatory apology for not updating regularly here: ________

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I can get to something mindless and rambling in nature. In a handfull of days, I shall have been home for a solid month. The wistful old man in me desires to say something along the lines of "where does the time go?" but I shall refrain in the spirit of youthful rebellion.

When I first returned home, I took a week or two to rest and reacclimate to American living. It is certainly different living here. So many things are so very easy to accomplish. But we love to find ways to make things difficult, mostly on those around us. For the most part things are so good and comfortable around us. It is on the inside that our lives are in shambles or are completely uncomfortable. Sometimes that can manifest itself in our interactions with other people. We want company in our hurt or our discontent and try to pull people into it. If only more people would do that with their joy and their satisfaction.

In Moldova, I would talk to the boys about living above their circumstances. I would always stress that I did not mean financially. They lived in an impoverished country, but they did not have to feel impoverished. God has the capacity to make poor men richer than Bill Gates. We live in a wealthy country but so many of us are poor in spirit. Paul saying "I have learned to be content in all circumstances" is lost in both cultures. We look at Christ's message, that he has come so we would have life and life to the fullest, not knowing how to claim it. Poor and wealthy seem to have trouble with this.

My thoughts are becoming much clearer. That doesn't mean that I'll be able to express them any better than before. But I'm sure nobody was expecting that. It has been a good month. I've been back working for a few weeks now. It has been nice to get a paycheck again. It's been a while. I've seen a lot of my friends. I've got a lot more to catch up with though. If I haven't contacted you, I'm sorry. I do suck.

Oh yes, the title refers to the fact that I've been watching my brother's dogs while he and his wife are in California. They enjoy making me clean up their bodily functions as opposed to ridding themselves of them outside when we go for our walks. They are good listeners though, I'll give them that.

Goodbye Billy Volek.

No comments: