Friday, January 27, 2006

Moldovan Sex Symbol......Perhaps

Today was eventful.

This morning we got up early and headed to the orphanage to hand out more coats. A lot of this week has been spent doing that. We've also been measuring the kids and entering into a spreadsheet to help as we provide clothing for them. When we passed out all the coats it was time to wrangle them into a group picture. We went outside and lined the kids up on some steps. It was a little overwhelming to see all of the kids in their coats and to see how many lives have been touched by a simple gift.

From there it was on to lunch. We ate at a traditional Moldovan restaurant where I enjoyed "roast beef in a pot." It was just like it sounds. They brought out a little pot with roast beef, potatoes and this sort of tomato/carrot sauce (it wasn't quite a stew). We also had these really amazing pie things with cottage cheese, cabbage and this dill tasting stuff in it. All delicious, but going right to my thighs. It's okay though, I drank coke light.

After lunch we had a meeting with the contractor who we'll be working with on our transitional living house. The meeting was very productive and I think he really understands what we are looking for in this house. He also talks about doing things the right way, which is comforting to hear.

Then it was on to have a meeting with the Vice Mayor of the city the orphanage is in. This was a good meeting and encouraging since we now have a relationship with somebody in the government. About halfway through the meeting, the Vice Mayor decided that I should date her daughter since she speaks English and I am a single male. She brought it up several times and kept motioning for me to call her. She must have done that four or five times. Just before we left she busted out some pictures so I could check her out for myself. It didn't stop there. She began to tell me about her daughter's skills in chess. Apparently she is the back to back to back Moldovan junior chess champion. At least she speaks English. This kind of thing has happened a few times since I've been here. Perhaps my child-bearing hips and chubby cheeks are a desired male trait here. That's exciting. Also, the director of the orphanage, Galina, grabbed my ear in a very gentle way. That's something of which I don't know what to think.

We left the mayor's office and came to our last meetings of the day. I was meeting the guys we employ to discuss salary and the next year of their jobs. The meetings went well and almost all of the guys felt good about the system. Ivan, decided that he would try to talk us into paying more.

He felt like he should be making more money than we were offering. He told me that he could get a job that was easier and paid better. I told him that he should take the job then. After all, he was in a transitional living program. The point was to get him to a place in life where he could be independent. If he could find a job that would pay better then that is what we wanted. He just kept telling us that we should pay him more because he could get a job that would be similar and pay better. I kept telling him that he should take the job. It was fun to watch him give it a shot. I hope he does find a job that pays like he says we should. That will be a part of him becoming independent but he needs so much more. Money isn't enough, for any of us. I hope Ivan will stay with us a while before he starts making the big dollars.

Like I said, it was an eventful day. I distributed coats, ate some meat in a pot, met the vice mayor, got a potential date with an English-speaking Moldovan chess champion, was told I was a cheap employer and even had my ear caressed by the director of the orphanage.

5 comments:

Kara said...

I found your blog! I am so excited!

Emily said...

Ya ain't lived in Moldova until ya been to the bathroom with a frog...I'll save that story for a rainy day. :)

I'm glad to hear the coats were distributed - can't wait to see pictures. I can't really imagine 500+ kids in new coats. A-mazing. It's nice to hear good things about the contractor, too. That sounds promising. Now if only the frozen tundra would thaw so they can get to building!

Catch ya later, heartbreaker...

Anonymous said...

Do I sense 'the Batchelor" from Moldova on network tv? Or more like "Meet the Parents" Moldovan style? I always thought your chubby cheeks were one of your better features! Are you thawing out yet? Stay warm! Yo Momma

Anonymous said...

Well I would be careful with the chess player, you watch out for her moves. She will have you trapped before you know it. Ha. I enjoy reading your messages, great sense of humor. Maybe you had some lint on your ear and that is why she caressed you ear to remove it.
Take care. Diana

Heather said...

It's a good thing you're writing all this down. It'll make be a great TW Bedi book someday.