Monday, June 11, 2007

young love

today, while driving in the reconstruct expedition, a pertinent song from my past bellowed through the spacious interior. it is safe to say that my fearless vocal performance was less than perfect. i was, indeed, a bit pitchy.

the song, since you're probably wondering, was foreigner's "i want to know what love is." the vocal range of this song takes me a bit past my comfort zone, a comfort zone i'll leave only for songs that lead me into wistful joy.

this song just happens to be the first and only "song" i've ever had in a relationship. in seventh grade (the beginning of the two-year period of my life which i classify as my 'prime') i was dating the head cheerleader, whitney wiggins. i must also mention that she was in eighth grade at the time, an older woman. as the song ended, it made me quite happy that i have moved beyond the awkwardness of my early relationships and into a new awkwardness which has been at the forefront of every relationship since.

the irony of it all is that i'm still not sure i know what love actually is. perhaps listening to cheesy power ballads will help speed that along. bands like journey and boston will be my new teachers as i search for it. i will learn of love as i sing in falsetto with frizzy haired men from the past.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Glad to hear your all clean and belting Foreigner. The only way to top that is a little Bob Seger. But what do I know?