Friday, April 14, 2006

you never know who you're talking to

a while back i met this guy sasha, one of the cafeteria workers at the orphanage. sasha speaks a little english and likes to practice with me whenever he gets a chance. we have lovely conversations.

normally, he will ask me about the finer points of english: conjunctions, subject placement, what certain explatives mean, and so on and so forth. sometimes he'll ask me about life in america as his eyes glaze over imagining a life filled with an overabundance of restaraunts, hummers, a relatively low stray dog population (thanks in part to the efforts of the Bob Barker) and litter-free streets.

the other day he had another topic in mind. he completely bypassed our usual banter and tedious fustian. this day his mind followed only one track. there was no 'hello.' there was only a 'i need to find a new job.'
i did bite.

why? i asked.
' i only make 40$ a month here. this is not enough.'
[he has been working there for three years. 12 x 40 x 3 = 1,440$ over his tenure.]
well sasha, what skills do you have?
'what is my profession?'
yes
'well, i studied nuclear science in college.'
i'm sorry. did you say nuclear science?
'yes, i worked at a nuclear power plant in russia for a time. after this i began to work for the KGB in a highly secret submarine factory. it was very secret. KGB, gorbachov, perestroika, everything.'
let me get this straight sasha. you studied nuclear science, worked at a nuclear power plant, and then worked at a highly secretive submarine factory for the kgb, the state security committee, whose emblem is as follows

'yes, this line of work is not needed in moldova.'
i guess not. so you did all that, and now you work in a cafeteria?
'yes.'
wow.
'i must go now, good bye.' he said quite abruptly[perhaps he divulged too much information and now fears for his life. old times are gone but not forgotten.]
see you later, sasha. and he fades into the sunset.

moldova. there it is.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Yes, Sasha. Tripp and I had a very simliar conversation with him this summer. He also had a lot of questions about these "Baptists". He's a very smart and curious person. Tripp will get a kick out of this post.

PS - you better keep an eye out now...you never know who's watching you!

Anonymous said...

Tim I hope this wasn't a "told you and now I have to kill you" situation!

FYI incase you don't read my email... Mom and Dad had their main hard drive crash so they are computerless while it's being fixed. I'll let you know when they are back in action.

Anonymous said...

Tim - I too think of The October, but even more I think of Bond, James Bond. I see Sasha as a great character in Bond for N64 - maybe a secret character used in versus mode - maybe you can be Sasha and I'll be the helicoper pilot. Advantage you. The helicopter pilot never had the best aim.

Brian - I'll lend you an ear.

t.w.bedi said...

sasha has a perfect outfit for the n64 bond. he always wears an apron, a tan one at that, and typically a sweater. good call. brian, you can always email me. that is, of course, if you still love me.

Anonymous said...

Tim, Sasha is a great guy. Last summer he gave me a Russia Shakespear book which I have on my mantle at home. Everytime I see it, I offer up a pryaer for him. FYI-He read poetry to me in Russian from the gift he gave me. It was actually very romantic. Don't tell Tom I said that. HA!
Linda